GO TIME is a colaborative and open source organization devoted to encouraging and supporting the creative spirit through open communications, idea sharing and playing with robots!
It was late Sunday night and I was working on the MK3 at home. I have printed out all of the plastic parts and cut all of the cardboard earlier that day. I have also cut some vinyl stickers to some visual appeal. I was confidant that this version would outperform the MK2 and MK1. It had to. I had a presentation the next day and I wanted to make a good impression. However, my biggest problems still remained. I needed to make the car travel farther than 6 inches. The MK3 had a new plastic pulley-lever system which I believed would outperform the cardboard version. Unfortunately the system had a tenancy to jam. Even when it worked, the distance that it traveled was not impressive. I needed an idea fast. Finally my breakthrough came. It did not come in the form of a great new idea. It came as the acceptance of an old forgotten idea. Early in the development of the MK1 I had noticed a lanyard on my desk which was given to me as a part a name tag at a conference. It contained about 3 feet of string connected to a spring loaded reel. I had toyed with the notion of integrating it into my design, but eventually gave it up in favor rubber bands. I was so sure that I could get a rubber band to work in my design that I had dismissed the lanyard That night at around 3am, the idea came back to me. With irritation, I reconsidered the lanyard It offered a good 3 feet worth of reliable pulling power, instead of the 4 inches of variable power that I got out of the rubber band. Also, the lanyard had a ring on the the end of the string. This allowed the string to release from the reel, allowing the reel to continue to after the pulling was done. The rubber band was permanently attached to the reel, which caused the car to jerk to a halt after the rubber band was finished releasing its energy. I had to admit that the lanyard offered a simple and elegant solution to many of my problems. I make a quick modification to my plastic fittings, attached the lanyard to the MK3, wound it up and let it go. To my surprise, it zipped across the room! Finally, I had a car that I could be proud in. The lanyard remains one of the most important advancements made in the Maker Racer to this day.